Officials in the City of Colusa are now anticipating that their boat ramp project should be wrapped up by Dec. 6, when they are tentatively planning to have a grand opening ceremony.
The bottom of the boat ramp has taken shape over the past two weeks, as the pre-casted concrete slabs have all been put in place by SnL Group, Inc. – the contractor who is in charge of the project. On Monday, workers were compacting the ground at the top half of the ramp, preparing the remaining portion of the ramp itself – about 75 feet – for concrete that will be poured in place next week.
“The pour-in-place starts next week. Once they get the rest of the ramp itself in place, the top part is going to go real quick,” Colusa City Manager Jesse Cain said.
Cain said that SnL’s contract calls for the work on the ramp to be done by Nov. 21, but that the company has requested a 20 day extension, which he anticipated the city would grant them. Cain added that there has only been one change order for the project in the amount of $322,000.
“We have received no requests for any other cost change orders, and I don’t anticipate any more,” Cain said.
The only change order for the project came as a result of the elevation of the riverbed being lower than expected, which required SnL Group to bring the depth of the riverbed up by about eight feet using one-ton and half-ton boulders.
Under the grant agreement with the Department of Boating and Waterways, from whom the City of Colusa received the grant, all change orders over $5,000 require approval from the department. The department approved the $322,000 change order with the conditions that the city get approval from all of the permitting agencies, and that the city council adopt a resolution “committing funds in excess of the grant amount to complete the construction of the Colusa Boat Launch facility.” The council approved such a resolution at last night’s meeting.
Earlier this year, Cain said that at the worst, the city could be on the hook for about $100,000 for the change order. On Monday, Cain said that he believes the cost of the project, even with that change order, will be fully covered by the $2.9 million grant that the city was awarded for the boat ramp. Cain said that the Department of Boating and Waterways had signed off on the city’s request to roll unused mitigation funds over for construction costs, and that it appears as if the city wouldn’t have to dip into general fund reserves as a result.
“We should come in right at that ($2.899 million) amount,” Cain said. “Barring a major catastrophe, if I have to go back to the council for anything over that, it’s going to be nominal, compared to the project. We will be really, really, really close.”
Cain added that he had stepped in as the construction manager on the project about a month ago to cut down on costs for the project.
“About three or four weeks ago, we ran out of money for the construction management company,” Cain said.
Cain said that, weather permitting, the city was hoping to hold a grand opening event for the project in the first week of December, complete with food and entertainment. ■