Communtiy Briefs: June 17th
- Fourth of July BBQ: The Grand Island Fire Department in Grimes, California will be hosting its biennial Fourth of July Breakfast. Biscuits and Gravy, scrambled eggs, diced potatoes, pancakes, sausage, ba-con, fruit salad, and BBQ pork chops will be served with coffee and assorted juices. The event is host-ed on Thursday, July 4th from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. at the Grand Island Fire Department. Bring your appetites! All proceeds go to improvements of the Grand Island Fire Department and Scholarship Fund.
- Colusa Masonic Lodge Scholarship Recipients: The Colusa Masonic Lodge High Twelve Club would like to take this opportunity to congratulate the class of 2013!! The Colusa Masonic Lodge takes pride in presenting local youth with scholarships each year. These scholarships are made possible by an annual community golf tournament. Without the Colusa Golf and Country Club, various businesses, the overwhelming support of community members, and lodge members, these scholarships would not be possible. The recipients of the 2013 Colusa Masonic Lodge scholarships are: Mattison Myers, who will be attending the University of Nebraska-Lincoln; Isaiah Gutierrez, who will be attending Butte College; Jenna Lewis, who will be attending the University of Nevada-Reno; Alex Hinely, currently attending U.C. L.A.; and Derek Mench, currently attending Shasta College.
- CRMC Board of Directors: Colusa Regional Medical Center is looking for members of the community to serve on the hospital Board of Directors. There are three (3) open board positions. To apply and be eligible to serve, you must be a current member of Colusa Regional Medical Center. To become a new member, a donation of $100 or more is required, which entitles any business and/or individual one vote at the annual general membership meeting. If you are interested or know someone who would be willing to serve in this capacity, please send in (no later than June 22, 2013) your name, along with a short bio, to Colusa Regional Medical Center, attention: Dierdre Athenais, 199 E. Webster Street, Colusa, CA 95932, or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Election results will be announced at the annual board meeting in July. Serving as a member of the Board of Directors does require your attendance and participation at a monthly morning meeting (third Wednesday of the month) and any special meetings as needed. We encourage all people of Colusa County to consider this opportunity.
- Arbuckle United Methodist Church is offering Vacation Bible School “God’s Backyard Bible Camp Under the Sun” where kids have a blast serving Jesus. Dates/Times: July 29 to August 2, 2013, 9am-12pm each day. Location will be at Arbuckle United Methodist Church, 600 Pendleton, Arbuckle. Sign up will be on Saturday, July 27, 10am-12pm at the church. For more information: 476-2515.
- Seniors Come Join us for Lunch!: If you are 60 years of age or older and are interested in getting out of the house and meeting others over a delicious hot lunch, please join us! Located at the Boy Scout Cabin, 901 Parkhill Street, in the City of Colusa. Monday through Thursday at noon. Please call Colusa County Public Health at 530-458- 0380 to let us know you are coming! A donation of $3.00 per meal is recommended, but not required.
- Child Safety Seat Classes: “Is your child safe in your car? Certified child safety seat technicians are providing classes at the Colusa County Public Health Department. You will learn how to properly install and use the correct type of car seat for your child. Registration fee is $20 and low-income families may qualify for a free car seat. Call (530) 458-0380 to sign up for the next class.”
- Ladies Twilight Golf League now available at the Colusa Golf and Country Club. Two person teams tee off at 5:30 p.m. every Wednesday through the end of July. Players do not have to be embers. For more information please call Cathy Whitesell at (530) 237-7765 or Tina Beckley at (530) 713-5288.
- Help support the Colusa Fourth of July Fireworks display! The Colusa Firefighters Association is seeking contributions for the 2013 Fourth of July Fireworks display. With a cost of about $12,000, your help is needed to continue this tradition. Ralph Keeley, whom is handling the fireworks, donates his services, along with several other individuals who make the event possible. Donations are tax deductible. Contributions can be sent to the Colusa Firefighters Association, 750 Market St., Colusa, Ca. 95932. Please clearly mark your check for the Fireworks Display. For more information, please contact Tom Reische, at (530) 458-5144.