Williams Farmer • 3/4/1905
The trustees of Williams have caused thirty one orange trees and a number of olive trees to be planted on school grounds. The black walnut trees have been grafted with French walnuts. These improvements are in keeping with the times and the trustees should be commended for their action.
Williams Farmer • 3/10/1906
L. G. Manor and sons drove a band of forty turkeys to Williams from the old place south on town Thursday. All went well until within the town limits when a passing freight put the birds to flight. It was a most unusual sight to see the big turkeys flying over housetops, trees and barns. The entire populace was no less attracted than the barnyard fowls, which fluttered about in a manner that plainly indicated they suspected hawks or some other enemy. Searching parties worked late into the night and then all turkeys were not recovered.
Williams Farmer • 2/28/1930
SCHOOL BOND ELECTION CARRIES – ACTION ON NEW BUILDING TO START SOON
The voters of the Williams Union School District definitely decided at the polls Monday that our community would soon have a new school. The vote was a general surprise as so many of our citizens had expressed themselves as of various options; however very few voters argued that a new building was not necessary. Location, amount of bonds, style of building and various other personal opinions were heard before the election. Naturally it was assumed that the voters, expressing themselves upon the issue would take their personal opinion to the polls and try to defeat the proposition in which the people were not in full accord. However the result proved that the greater majority of the voters put aside personal desires and marked their ballots for the best interest of the district.
With the completion of the new $105,000 Williams union grammar school and a new building for Grand Island district including Grimes costing $45,000, Colusa County can justly boast of a set of school buildings equal to that of any county in the state.
Williams Farmer • 3/7/1930
EQUIPMENT FOR NEW POST OFFICE PURCHASED WORK BEING RUSHED ON THE POST OFFICE BUILDING
Postmaster Guy Manor and Mr. Houghland and Ast, returned the latter part of last week from a business trip to San Francisco, where they selected the new equipment for the Williams Post Office which should be ready for occupancy the first of April. The equipment is finished in white oak and will be attractive as well as serviceable. There will be five nests of boxes installed which will place four hundred and fifty boxes at the service of their patrons of the office. Additions may be made from time to time as growth demands. The inspector for this division surveyed the equipment selected and stated that it would meet the requirements for a second class office when that time arrives, we hope is not too many years in the future.
Contractor Julius Hofmeister is rushing work on the building and will soon have the roof on and work will then concentrate on the completion of the interior of the post office. All effort will be extended to have it ready for opening on the first of April. The room east of the post office which will be occupied by Harlan’s Gent’s Furnishing Store will also be completed.
Williams Farmer • 1/21/1930
FRESHWATER SCHOOL OCCUPIED WRONG SITE FRESHWATER SWAN SONG
Saturday March 15, 1930, saw “Finis” written to the long eventful life of Freshwater School District when the buildings of the district were sold at public auction. To look over the old records is to read the history of the early settlers as on the pages are seen the names Booksin, Luhrman, Stanley , Pulisfer, Able, Durham. Gibson, Graham, Manor, Brim, Stovall and others. Faithful teachers have given their best so education should go on through the years.
“So changeth the old order and the new come in;” Union Districts take the place of the one room school; departmental teaching takes the place of one teacher trying to teach all studies in all grades. In looking up the affairs of the district and interesting fact was brought to light, that for sixty-one years the school buildings have stood on land to which they had no legal right or claim, except of undisputed occupancy. In 1869, Mr. F. J. Luhrman Sr. deeded a half acre of land to the Freshwater School District, which in the deed is described:
½ acre in NW corner of the SE1/4 of Section 7, Township 15 R 3 W Either a mistake was made in the wording of the deed or the recording as the description should have read, NW corner of the NE1/4 of the Section 7 Township 15, R 3 W. If the buildings stood on the ground described in the deed, they would have been located ½ mile south of the present site.
This fact was discovered when the records were searched by Thomas Rutledge, attorney for Frank Abel, Miss Pearl Sanderson, Superintendent of School and Mrs. W. E. Abel, trustee of Freshwater.
EIGHTH STREET BEING REPAIRED
Improvement of the road on Eighth Street was started this morning with Merrick Cheney and Elbert Gassaway in charge. When finished this will be one of the finest streets in Williams.