Smoke filled the air, tempting western day patrons to feast on BBQ ribs at the Colusa County fairgrounds.
Competitors turned up the heat, each seeking the reign of champion in the beef rib and pork rib divisions.
The annual fundraising event, appeared to be a success, bringing numerous of curious and hungry people from around the community.
“We served approximately 240 people,” said Jolyn Campbell, the organizer for the BBQ Rib Cook Off, “It seemed like everyone had a fantastic time, and the 80 degree weather was perfect!”
This year, twelve judges were selected from the community, in addition to inviting members of the Kansas City BBQ Society to sit on the panel.
The judges included: Scott Gomes, Ben Lobenstein, Mimi Hernandez, Paul Brown, Peggy Brown, Joe Garofalo, and Amy Rennick-Gwinnup, Kim Troughton, Mike West, Andi Ferendelli, and Neil Cotter.
The criteria for judging the caveman style rib cook off were based on three parts: Appearance, taste and texture/tenderness.
The winners of the 2014 Beef Rib Cook Off were:
- First Place – “2nQue”, Jim Saso team leader.
- Second Place – “Buffalo Boy’s BBQ”, Jeremiah Johnson team leader.
- Third Place – “Ribbed for your pleasure”, Blake Stegall team leader.
The winners of the 2014 Pork Rib Cook Off were:
- First Place – “Charlie Dawg’s BBQ”, Kieth Stroup team leader.
- Second Place – “2nQue”, Jim Saso team leader.
- Third Place – “Rob’s Smokin Rub”, Rob Ryan team leader.
The winner of the people’s choice award was: “Ribbed for your pleasure”, Blake Stegall team leader.