Nearly 80 percent infected with West Nile never experience symptoms, but the other 20% develop mild symptoms such as high fever, muscle weakness, stiff neck, disorientation, mental confusion, paralysis and fatigue.
In extreme cases, the infection can lead to tremors, paralysis or comas, according to California Department of Public Health.
Mosquitos pick up West Nile by feeding on infected birds and spread the virus to humans through their bites.
The Colusa County Mosquito Abatement District suggested that on top of applying a protective repellent such as Deet, Picaridin, or Oil of Eucalyptus, residents should keep potential mosquito breeding grounds – such as outdoor plastic containers, ceramic pots, discarded tires, roof gutters, and bird baths – free of standing water.
In 2014, Colusa County documented three symptomatic cases of West Nile Infection. In 2013, only two cases were reported.
Six cases of West Nile were confirmed in Wisconsin in 2014.
To report a sick or dead bird, or to address any mosquito problems you may experience,
by calling the District office at (530) 458-4966.
The Colusa Mosquito Abatement District sprays larvacides and adulticides, Monday through Friday in the City of Colusa and outlying areas within the district boundaries.
The district recently began spraying a three-mile radius, weekly, over the City of Williams. The service began after a 3/2 vote of the Williams City Council, approving services.