The California Department of Boating and Waterways gave its blessing to the city’s contract with SnL Group Inc., and the contractor is slated to begin construction on June 11.
“On June 11 at 10 AM, we’re having a groundbreaking ceremony,” said City Manager Jesse Cain. “What I’ll do is have a special council meeting there at the boat ramp, that way the whole council can attend… We will probably also have a ribbon cutting once it’s complete.”
Assuming everything goes smoothly, Cain said that the first boat could launch from the new facility within 120 days of that date.
“Long time coming,” said Councilman Tom Reische. “I’ve been on council longer than we’ve been trying to do this, I think. They let me make the motion to continue it on. I think Jesse’s got all of our ducks in a row now.”
Cain issued the notice to proceed shortly after hearing back from the Department of Boating and Waterways (DBW). In addition to the DBW giving their stamp of approval on the contract, the agency will also allow the city to move over excess mitigation funds to pay for the project’s construction, as Cain had hoped.
The city approved a $1.94 million contract with SnL Group Inc. during a special council meeting on May 16 ,in a 4-0-1 decision. It was the lowest of three responsive bids by a significant margin. The city was awarded a $2.9 million grant for the project in February 2016. Of that total, $1.78 million was earmarked for the ramp’s actual construction. The city had $501,000 remaining for mitigation funds under the grant agreement, which Cain didn’t expect the city would use in its entirety. As a result of DBW allowing the city to re-allocate some of those mitigation funds for construction, the project will be paid for entirely by grant funding – barring any major setback.
Cain said that he was excited when the official word came back from the agency last week.
“It’s about time–we’re actually going to see this happen,” Cain said. “I just hope that we don’t run into any major issues in construction.”