Pierce student suffers severe burns in shop class

A 9th-grade student at Pierce High School was injured Monday afternoon when a welding exercise went horribly awry, leaving the student with severe burns.

The incident occurred after a spark ignited the student’s pant leg. Multiple sources reported that the student stood up and began to run. That is when the shop teacher, with the help of classmates, grabbed a fire blanket, tackled the student to the ground, and proceeded to extinguish the fire.

The student was transported by air ambulance to UC Davis Medical Center where sources said that the student suffered severe burns to 65% of his body.

Although the student was wearing standard coveralls used for the welding class, he was participating in the school’s Christmas Spirit week and was wearing pajama pants, a student witness said. Monday was “Pajama Day” according to the school’s Facebook page.

The teacher was also transported for precautionary measures and was released with minor injuries. As of Tuesday morning, sources said the student was in stable condition.

The Pierce Joint Unified School District did not give any details about the individuals involved, but said it is investigating the matter.

Lloyd Green Jr, Editor
Lloyd Green Jr. is the Owner and Publisher of the Williams Pioneer Review. He is dedicated in publishing the news and informing the community of Colusa County. Lloyd has been with the publication since 2008, and purchased the business in 2010. Under his ownership the newspaper has grown significantly in subscriptions, publishes weekly, and obtained the title of Newspaper of General Circulation by the Superior Court of Colusa County in Sept. 2007. Lloyd is also the director of advertising, classified manager, legal notice clerk, and circulation manager. To contact Lloyd, email him at lloyd@colusacountynews.net or call (530) 458-4141 ext. 100.