Letters to the Editor Policy
It is the policy of the Williams Pioneer Review to encourage reader participation on its editorial page. Diverse and varied opinions are welcomed. Because of space limitations, we reserve the right to edit, or omit submitted letters. Letters of 300 words or less will be published unless they contain language or content that the editors feel is inappropriate.
Examples of content that will cause letters to be rejected include the following:
- Confusing or unclear points.
- Crude language.
- Poor taste.
- Disrespectful comments regarding a group’s or individual’s ethnicity, gender, religion, culture, sexual orientation or race.
- Other incendiary language or remarks.
- Endorsements for or complaints about individually named commercial products or services.
- Personal tributes, attacks or thank you’s.
Only letters written exclusively to the newspaper will be published. Letters to a third party, posted on social media prior, or those written to more than one newspaper are not accepted.
Letters written in response to other letter writers should address the issue at hand, and rather than mentioning the writer by name the writer should refer to the headline and date the letter was published. Discourse should be civil and people should be referred to in a respectful manner. Letters referring to news stories should also mention the headline and date of publication.
All letters must be signed and include the writer’s street address or route address, and telephone number (not published and will be used for verification purposes only) and the name of the writer and city of residence will be published. On rare circumstances the initials of the writer will be published with the name of the city in which the writer resides. Anonymous letters will not be accepted.
Letters to the editor must be submitted by Noon on Tuesday for Thursday publication. Letters can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mailed to 310 5th Street, Colusa, CA 95932.
Political letters Policy
Beginning, Feb. 1, 2020, all letters to the editor that endorse or against politicians, campaigns, political parties and/or measures will cost $25 for the first 250 words, and $10 per 100 words thereafter. Letter can be sent to: email@example.com or Political Letters Editor, Pioneer Review, 310 5th St., Colusa, CA 95932. Letters must include the authors full name, and city of residence.
Article Submission Policy
It is the policy of the Williams Pioneer Review to encourage reader submission of newsworthy events. Due to our limited staff, we often accept press releases with open arms. The Williams Pioneer Review reserves the right to edit, or omit submitted articles. Articles of 750 words or less will be published unless they contain language or content that the editors feel is inappropriate. Below is a guideline of submitted articles:
- Have a legitimate news angle (announcing something new and/or timely)
- Contain proper attribution
- Be news from the company actually submitting the news
- Have an objective tone — not be written in casual first person language (I, we, you, etc)
- Not contain overt sales language (Are YOU looking for ways to make money online??” “Buy now!!!”)
- Not be from a site that offers adult products and services, escort services, illegal products and services, scams and pyramid schemes, or iPhone unlocking products
- Not be a duplicate of a previously submitted press release
- Not contain excessive links
- Contain a valid email and phone number
- Be at least 250 words
Articles and Press Releases must be submitted three days prior to deadline posted on our homepage or published in the newspaper. Articles and Press Releases can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mailed to 310 5th Street, Colusa, CA 95932.
Community Brief Policy
It is the policy of the Williams Pioneer Review to encourage reader submission of community events and functions. Due to our limited staff, we often accept notices with open arms, however, the Williams Pioneer Review reserves the right to edit, or omit submitted articles. Community Briefs of 100 words or less will be published unless they contain language or content that the editors feel is inappropriate.Below is a guideline of submitted articles:
- Community Briefs must be sent via email, fax or by US Mail.
- Community Briefs sent via email must be sent in the body of the email on in a Microsoft Word Document. Any other format will be rejected. In addition, excessive use of spaces, and tabs to create the illusion of formatting is unacceptable. Any submission that requires us to remove spaces and/or tabs will be rejected and the sender will be asked to correct before we will accept the submission.
- Community Briefs that run weekly on in a constant basis are ran only when space is applicable. The Williams Pioneer Review reserves the right not to run any community brief for any reason at any given time without explanation. This is a FREE service to the community and paid content paves president over non paid content.
- Community Briefs can not be submitted by businesses promoting a sale, going out of business, or grand opening (unless organized with the Chamber of Commerce).
Community Briefs must be submitted three days prior to deadline posted on our homepage or published in the newspaper. Submissions can be sent to email@example.com, or mailed to 310 5th Street, Colusa, CA 95932.
Police Blotter Policy
It is not the policy of the Pioneer Review to remove names from the Police Blotter published on our website.
The Police Blotter information is obtained and provided to us by police departments as a matter of public record of police interactions with the public. The person named in this listings has only been arrested on suspicion of the crime indicated and are presumed innocent.
In instances where charges are dismissed or reduced, or if the person was acquitted, we will add a note to the Police Blotter, published on our website, after any legal documents or information submitted to the Pioneer Review is verified. Submit to: firstname.lastname@example.org